Will Sunscreen in Cosmetics Protect me?
It is a question we often are asked: “Does the Sunscreen in Cosmetics Provide Enough Protection?” Any self-respecting skin care professional will continually beat the drum with regard to the use of sunscreen. Aside from avoiding the sun entirely, it is arguably the best way to protect your skin from the adverse effects of the sun’s harmful UV rays. However, with many women opting to wear makeup infused with some level of SPF, (Sun Protection Factor) the question is, are such cosmetics a sufficient substitute for the real thing? And the answer is, usually not.
The linked Bustle.com source article provides a revealing quote on the matter from Eileen Bischoff, an esthetician at Eve Salon. She states “Makeup with SPF is good but the SPF level is usually not high enough to protect the skin when you are in the sun for a long period of time…It’s best to use an SPF if you are going to be in the sun for a long period of time and 30 being the lowest one to use…SPF usage also depends on the seasons and on your skin type.”
Is SPF in Makeup Enough?
From the medical side in the same piece, board-certified dermatologist Dr. Janet Prystowsky adds that “SPF in makeup is fine for daily use when you might be exposed to sunlight while waiting for a train, driving, or sitting by a window. And also “Makeup is typically not water resistant for 40-80 minutes so the SPF in it won’t hold up if you are swimming or sweating.”
As you can see, both cosmetologist and dermatologist agree that when it comes to shielding your skin, sunscreen still reigns supreme. While better than nothing, in a variety of circumstances SPF-infused cosmetics may very well sell your skin protection short. Your skin, as well as your overall health, deserve better than that.
So please, don’t forget to keep a bottle of sunscreen within easy access. You’ll thank yourself for it.
*Source article: Bustle.com
Sundicators: The Best Skin-surance Under the Sun!
Visit us at Sundicators.com
- Dogs are Skin Cancer Patients Best Friend - April 23, 2018
- Vanishing Moles – Looks Can Be Deceiving - March 2, 2018
- New Year Resolution: Healthy Skin and Sun Protection - January 15, 2018
- A Guide to Skin Cancer and Melanoma - November 6, 2017
- Autumn’s Arrival: Sun Safety Reminder - October 11, 2017
- Students: Back to School Skin Protection - September 20, 2017
- An Explosion of Skin Cancer Diagnosis in the 21st Century - July 24, 2017
- Familial Malignant Melanoma: Family Tragedies - June 12, 2017
- Melanoma Monday – May 1, 2017 and every Monday Thereafter… - May 1, 2017
- Back to Basics About Melanoma - April 25, 2017