One of the worst things about having had cancer is the potential for a Cancer Recurrence. A patient doesn’t know for sure if and when a relapse of their disease might occur. That’s why any advancement that allows a doctor to see such a return coming down the tracks ahead of time, and thus allowing them to potentially do something about it, can be extremely beneficial.
According to a recent article posted by Yahoo News, that may soon be possible for skin cancer patients afflicted with Melanoma.* Their piece states that a recent scientific breakthrough may allow doctors to test for signs that the Melanoma is overcoming the previous medications used to stop it, and therefore returning. When that capability becomes a reality, they’ll be able to change the patient’s treatment course.* Logically, the quicker doctors are made aware of any disease, (skin cancer or otherwise) the better the chances are that they will be able to help their patients.
There’s an old saying you probably have heard of stating that hindsight is 20/20. While that’s true, just imagine what medical science could do for the betterment of mankind if granted the power of an accurate foresight. The exciting truth is that further valuable medical advances and innovations are not anymore a question of if; but rather a question of when.
Cancer Recurrence is a fear for all cancer survivors
That’s why now, more than ever before, spreading awareness and education of all diseases is so vital. It’s a relatively simple chain of events, really: awareness leads to publicity, publicity leads to funding, and funding leads to breakthroughs. Today’s scientists have the knowledge, technology and capability to take medical science in directions that had never before even been thought possible.
As for our Cause, please remember that Melanoma is the King of Skin Cancer. It’s the worst type you can get. And the best way to treat it is to simply not get it at all. Practice regularly the sun-safety techniques and precautions we speak about so frequently on this blog, and you’ll drastically cut your chances of ever having to worry about, or worse deal with, this dreadful disease.
*Source: Yahoo News
Sundicators: The Best Skin-surance Under the Sun!
- Microblading, Permanent Makeup for Cancer Patients - October 1, 2018
- Dogs are Skin Cancer Patients Best Friend - April 23, 2018
- Vanishing Moles – Looks Can Be Deceiving - March 2, 2018
- New Year Resolution: Healthy Skin and Sun Protection - January 15, 2018
- A Guide to Skin Cancer and Melanoma - November 6, 2017
- Autumn’s Arrival: Sun Safety Reminder - October 11, 2017
- Students: Back to School Skin Protection - September 20, 2017
- An Explosion of Skin Cancer Diagnosis in the 21st Century - July 24, 2017
- Familial Malignant Melanoma: Family Tragedies - June 12, 2017
- Melanoma Monday – May 1, 2017 and every Monday Thereafter… - May 1, 2017