The Sun Could Be a Reflection On You
We are always Reflecting on Sun Safety and ways that we can remind you to take better precautions in the sun. However, there’s an unfortunate tendency for many who live in cold, weather-y climates to adopt a ‘we’re out of the woods now’ attitude regarding sunburn once the mercury drops in earnest. And yes, that’s just human nature. But it doesn’t change the fact that while bears may hibernate in winter, the sun does not.
Whether we see them or not, regardless of temperature, the sun’s harmful UV rays penetrate everything. Even worse, they reflect back at us from numerous surfaces; including two we never have to deal with in the summer months: snow and ice. Like many other northern areas during winter, here in New England the athletically-inclined are champing at the bit for that first big snow or deep freeze. Such conditions allow us to do things like go skating, skiing, sledding, ice fishing and play ice hockey.
However any of those activities can easily mean numerous hours spent outside, with parts of our skin continually exposed to sun damage for the duration of that time. Not only is that skin absorbing those UV rays directly but, as mentioned earlier, it’s also receiving them via reflection from that snow, ice and water. But there is a simple solution. Before you head outdoors for the day, just apply sunscreen to the areas that you know will be affected. Then bring the bottle, and a Sundicators sun-safety wristband, with you.
You’ll be spending a few minutes putting all your winter gear on to protect yourself from the cold anyway, so why not then spend a few seconds more protecting yourself from the sun? Exposure to the latter can be no less dangerous, and potentially even more so. The next time you hear the old adage that warns us against “exposure to the elements”, remember, the sun is one of the elements it’s talking about. And you’ll notice there’s no “except in winter” caveat attached. There’s a reason for that.
As we go deeper into Winter, we simply ask you to continue Reflecting Sun-Safety. It’ll help ensure that your skin avoids the perils of winter sunburn, and that the only thing shining bright red in your house this season are the lights on your Christmas tree!
Sundicators: The Best Skin-surance Under the Sun!
- Microblading, Permanent Makeup for Cancer Patients - October 1, 2018
- Dogs are Skin Cancer Patients Best Friend - April 23, 2018
- Vanishing Moles – Looks Can Be Deceiving - March 2, 2018
- New Year Resolution: Healthy Skin and Sun Protection - January 15, 2018
- A Guide to Skin Cancer and Melanoma - November 6, 2017
- Autumn’s Arrival: Sun Safety Reminder - October 11, 2017
- Students: Back to School Skin Protection - September 20, 2017
- An Explosion of Skin Cancer Diagnosis in the 21st Century - July 24, 2017
- Familial Malignant Melanoma: Family Tragedies - June 12, 2017
- Melanoma Monday – May 1, 2017 and every Monday Thereafter… - May 1, 2017