If you live in an apartment, or work in an office building, you’ve likely seen them around a lot. If you own a home, perhaps you’ve hired them at one time or another. We’re talking about Outdoor Workers and sun exposure of course. The men and women whose jobs are to paint, construction, landscaping, roofing, gutter-cleaning, window washers, siding installation and a host of other tasks that expose them to the elements all day-everyday.
Many of their jobs are performed 100% outdoors and are still carried out during the worst weather conditions i.e., high temps, low temps, snowy, rainy, windy… you get the picture. Most importantly, these jobs are performed outside in direct exposure to harmful UV rays and often during the sun’s more dangerous peak hours.
Throughout a given day they’re usually called upon to do one thing after another, and may not have had time to prioritize the sun or take it into consideration. Now of course no one likes people sticking their noses into their jobs, and they’re almost certainly aware of at least some sun risks. But if you notice that you could assist a maintenance worker with sun-safety, you could do it similar to the way a passing motorist might give bottled water to a traffic cop on a hot day.
Pay Sunscreen Forward – It Could Save a Life
As with everything in life, how you phrase something makes all the difference. For instance if someone crashes a car, he or she could tell their spouse this way: “I’m home. I smashed the car. It’s totally ruined. Sorry.” Or, they could say: “Hey guess what?! You know how you’ve been saying you’d really like to get a new car?!” It’s all in the delivery.
If you notice some outdoor work being done by a perpetually tanned worker, you could walk outside with a bottle of sunscreen and nicely say: “Goodness it’s hot out here. You must be burning up. I’ve got plenty of sunscreen; would you like some?”
When it comes to helping people protect themselves from the sun, it’s always worth the effort. Why not give it a try? It could save a life!
Sundicators: The Best Skin-surance Under the Sun!
Visit us at Sundicators.com
- Dogs are Skin Cancer Patients Best Friend - April 23, 2018
- Vanishing Moles – Looks Can Be Deceiving - March 2, 2018
- New Year Resolution: Healthy Skin and Sun Protection - January 15, 2018
- A Guide to Skin Cancer and Melanoma - November 6, 2017
- Autumn’s Arrival: Sun Safety Reminder - October 11, 2017
- Students: Back to School Skin Protection - September 20, 2017
- An Explosion of Skin Cancer Diagnosis in the 21st Century - July 24, 2017
- Familial Malignant Melanoma: Family Tragedies - June 12, 2017
- Melanoma Monday – May 1, 2017 and every Monday Thereafter… - May 1, 2017
- Back to Basics About Melanoma - April 25, 2017