This blog has provided many tips on how people can protect themselves from the sun during a countless array of outdoor activities. But what if spending your entire day outdoors is a part of your job description? There are many whose livelihoods require them to be exposed to harmful UV rays and sun skin damage each and every time they clock in. Some of these Outdoor Occupations include lifeguards, fishermen, construction workers, landscapers and farmers to name a few.
While there’s little doubt the thought of sun protection has already occurred to those who labor in these and similar vocations, the chances are good that there have been days when sunscreen still hasn’t been a priority. We understand that it’s just human nature to be occasionally dismissive of such things, especially when it’s ‘only for a day or two’ here and there. The problem though is that those days add up quickly. And your skin suffers every time it’s neglected. Over time, that neglect can turn into wrinkles, blemishes and even skin cancer.
If you or someone you know works in one of these occupations, (particularly if he or she is just starting out) we implore you to remind them of the importance of regular, daily sunscreen application- along with wearing hats and sun-protective clothing. Maintaining this simple routine will go a very long way toward helping them or you avoid contracting Melanoma.
We’d bet that those who toil in ‘alfresco professions’ make sure to keep themselves well-hydrated which, while a great idea, only provides internal benefits. To disregard the exterior of your body during long hours in sunlight can be just as bad, if not worse, for your well-being.
To shield only half of yourself is like buying a home security system that monitors your kitchen and living room, but not your bedrooms and basement. Nobody would sign up for that. Nor should they. And that’s just a house. Nothing’s more important than your health.
So if you work outdoors, please just remember this: sunscreen. Every shift. Every day.
Sundicators: The Best Skin-surance Under the Sun!
- Microblading, Permanent Makeup for Cancer Patients - October 1, 2018
- Dogs are Skin Cancer Patients Best Friend - April 23, 2018
- Vanishing Moles – Looks Can Be Deceiving - March 2, 2018
- New Year Resolution: Healthy Skin and Sun Protection - January 15, 2018
- A Guide to Skin Cancer and Melanoma - November 6, 2017
- Autumn’s Arrival: Sun Safety Reminder - October 11, 2017
- Students: Back to School Skin Protection - September 20, 2017
- An Explosion of Skin Cancer Diagnosis in the 21st Century - July 24, 2017
- Familial Malignant Melanoma: Family Tragedies - June 12, 2017
- Melanoma Monday – May 1, 2017 and every Monday Thereafter… - May 1, 2017