It’s an age-old question for us all: is it worth spending extra money on Name Brand products? Like most things in life the answer isn’t always black or white, but often gray. With food, it’s just a simple matter of trial and error. Usually one taste will tell you which generic foodstuffs are good enough to pass muster, and which are worth ponying up the extra cash for. At that point there’s nothing more to do than make a mental note of which is which.
What about non-foods? Those items whose effectiveness takes real time and effort to determine — like sunscreen? As Americans we’ve been trained since birth to want the flashy labels; the status symbols which indicate to the world that we’re in the game. But looking back, were designer jeans and polo shirts with sewn-on alligators all that superior to their more affordable department store counterparts? Was the difference in style and protection from $400 sunglasses really $390 better than a $10 pair you could pluck off the rack?
Even more important, are store brand skin care products at least as effective as the high-end brand names? Byrdie.com posted a piece that addressed that very question. They wrote that a recent trial was held to study the effects of a drugstore brand versus a much costlier name brand that is often issued by dermatologists. It went on to state that after three months of using both products on either side of their faces, the generic version exhibited significant progress over its pricier competitor on the skin of the study’s subjects.
Of course, the findings of one study isn’t the final word on the subject. But it certainly does provide food for thought. Why not give the store brand a try? If you’re a regular user of skin care products and find they suit your needs as well, (if not better) over time the savings to you could be astronomical.
Bottom Line: Whether you are wearing generic OR brand name sun protection clothing and skin care products.. you are doing your health and body good. Keep it up!
Sundicators: The Best Skin-surance Under the Sun!
- Dogs are Skin Cancer Patients Best Friend - April 23, 2018
- Vanishing Moles – Looks Can Be Deceiving - March 2, 2018
- New Year Resolution: Healthy Skin and Sun Protection - January 15, 2018
- A Guide to Skin Cancer and Melanoma - November 6, 2017
- Autumn’s Arrival: Sun Safety Reminder - October 11, 2017
- Students: Back to School Skin Protection - September 20, 2017
- An Explosion of Skin Cancer Diagnosis in the 21st Century - July 24, 2017
- Familial Malignant Melanoma: Family Tragedies - June 12, 2017
- Melanoma Monday – May 1, 2017 and every Monday Thereafter… - May 1, 2017
- Back to Basics About Melanoma - April 25, 2017