Sun safety means more than just using sunscreen and Sundicators or seeking shade during the warmer months, when more time is typically spent outdoors. The term represents something much broader as it relates to total skin health. It’s a 365 day, fifty-two week annual commitment to awareness of the sun’s destructive impact on your skin.
Practicing sun safety isn’t a seasonal exercise, as the sun doesn’t distinguish between seasons. Moreover, the phrase itself has multiple definitions; each with its own precautionary stipulation. For instance, many of the skin care products used by folks in their daily routines contain ingredients that make skin more photosensitive, while also putting them at greater risk for skin diseases. And though we may think we’re doing the right thing by treating our wrinkles and fine lines with them, attention is rarely paid to the resulting side effects that negatively affect our skin. Many skin care companies avoid telling you about them, as they know that should additional symptoms arise, more products will be purchased to remedy the same.
Just because the weather’s cooler and we’re no longer at the beach, that doesn’t mean the need for sun safety is any less important. While we might not feel the warmth of the sun when doing yard work on a chilly autumn day, the sun is still present. In fact it’s always present, and its harmful UV rays are just as strong now as they are in the summer.
Whether the indicators of sun damage are perceptible to us or not, the sun’s impact on us is still the same. And without adequate protection you’re causing irreversible damage to your tender skin, be it spring, summer, autumn or winter. It’s that simple.
- Dogs are Skin Cancer Patients Best Friend - April 23, 2018
- Vanishing Moles – Looks Can Be Deceiving - March 2, 2018
- New Year Resolution: Healthy Skin and Sun Protection - January 15, 2018
- A Guide to Skin Cancer and Melanoma - November 6, 2017
- Autumn’s Arrival: Sun Safety Reminder - October 11, 2017
- Students: Back to School Skin Protection - September 20, 2017
- An Explosion of Skin Cancer Diagnosis in the 21st Century - July 24, 2017
- Familial Malignant Melanoma: Family Tragedies - June 12, 2017
- Melanoma Monday – May 1, 2017 and every Monday Thereafter… - May 1, 2017
- Back to Basics About Melanoma - April 25, 2017